The Regional Project Monitoring Committee (RPMC) of the MIMAROPA Regional Development Council (RDC) in coordination with the Provincial Planning and Development Office (PPDO) of Romblon conducted on-site monitoring of ongoing and completed nationally-funded projects in Sibuyan and Tablas Islands in the province of Romblon on May 2-8, 2014.
The Regional Project Monitoring Team (RPMT) was composed of technical staffs from the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA), Department of Budget and Management (DBM), Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), Office of the President-Presidential Management Staff (PMS) and RDC-Private Sector Representative.
Among the projects monitored were: Tugdan Airport, the newly-constructed Romblon provincial hospital under the Health Facilities Enhancement Program (HFEP) of DOH, various road and bridge projects of DPWH, PPA and LGU-managed ports, Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps) implementation and the National Greening Program of DENR. The team also visited the Cantingas Mini-Hydro Power Project in San Fernando and some of the municipality’s tourism destinations (Cresta de Gallo and Mt. Guiting-Guting National Park) in Sibuyan Island. An interview with the Peace Corps volunteer, Heather Phelps, a high school teacher assigned in Tugdan National High School in Tablas Island, was also conducted.
The following were the initial recommendations which emerged from the consultations with the provincial and local government officials as part of the RPMC’s monitoring and problem solving activity:
- Facilitation of the concreting of the Tablas airport runway through expediting the signing of contract of CAAP which have caused delays in project implementation
- DPWH will prioritize the replacement of three (3) critical bridges (Mabulo, Olango and Punong bridges in San Fernando, Sibuyan Island
- RSU, in coordination with CHED and DENR, will create courses related to environment (e.g. bio-diversity). Sibuyan Island to benefit in the conduct of researches.
- The municipality of San Fernando to issue local ordinances to protect/maintain the cleanliness of their tourism areas (e.g. Cresta de Gallo)
- Formulation of an integrated municipal tourism development plan for the island of Sibuyan to maximize resources of the LGUs.
With the presence of RED Oscar C. Dominguez and RTD Gwendolyn C. Bambalan of DENR, some of the environmental issues identified by the RPMT such as additional budget for the protected areas especially in Sibuyan Island and protection of watershed, among others, were already resolved during the consultation meeting held in the PENRO office in Odiongan.
A comprehensive report will be provided to the Sectoral Committee on Infrastructure Development (SCID) and RDC in June 2014, once the RPMC concludes its post assessment and evaluation of the projects monitored.